Cherries are one of the most popular summer fruit in United States.They are basically of two types, sweet (P.avium) and sour (P.cerasum). Highest cultivator of cherry is Turkey, followed by United States and Iran.
History: Cherry is derived from French word ‘cerise’, Spanish word ‘cereza’, Turkish word ‘kiraz’, all are originated from a Latin word ‘cerasum’.
Cultivation: Mostly sweet cherries (P.avium) are cultivated more than sour cherries (P.cerasum). Sweet ones are eaten as fruit and sour one are used in cooking. Cherries do not cross pollinate. Handpicking is usually the method used to prevent damage to both the fruit as well as to the tree/plant.
- Sweet Cherry (P.avium)-
Amount per 100 gram:-
- Calories: 63 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 16 g
- Fat: 0.2 g
- Protein: 1.1 g
- Calcium: 13 mg
- Iron: 0.36 mg
- Magnesium: 11 mg
- Manganese: 0.07 mg
- Phosphorous: 21 mg
- Potassium: 222 mg
- Zinc: 0.07 mg
- Sour Cherry (P.cerasum)-
Amount per 100 gram
- Calories: 50 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 12.2 g
- Fat: 0.3 g
- Protein: 1 g
- Calcium: 16 mg
- Iron: 0.32 mg
- Magnesium: 9 mg
- Manganese: 0.112 mg
- Phosphorous: 15 mg
- Potassium: 173 mg
- Zinc: 0.01 mg
Hair Benefits of Cherry:
- Vitamin A in cherries helps in keeping hair and scalp hydrated thus making it strong.
- It has Vitamin B, helps in proper circulation of the blood throughout the body thus making the root of hair stronger.
- Vitamin C in cherries helps in strengthening the hair from roots and prevents split ends on hair. In short total nourishment in done by this Vitamin C.
- Vitamin E helps in moistening the hair and its roots. Thus making hair soft and shiny.
Skin Benefits of Cherry:
- To keeps the skin radiant and healthy intake of multiple vitamins are required, these cherries works magically here, they are good source of Vitamin A, Vitamin B, Vitamin C and Vitamin E.
- Use of cherry can make the skin glow by removing the dark spots gradually, making a clear and bright looking skin.
- Dues to its anti-oxidant nature it works incredibly well in slowing the growth of cancer. Even doctors suggest the cancer patients to add these cherries into their diet.
- In fact, it contains high level of anti-oxidants, thus they also have anti-ageing properties. It helps in keeping the skin look younger for long time.
- Cherries also help in better quality sleep. Good quality of sleep in required by the human body and these cherries are very good at getting their jobs done
Health Benefits of Cherry:
- A cup full of cherries are enough for everyday requirement of calories by the human body.
- They help in maintain the body’s pH balance.
- They also contain important minerals like calcium and phosphorus, that are good for proper function of brain.
- Due to contents like fiber, vitamin C, anthocyanins and carotenoids it helps in fighting with cancer.
- It also helps in fighting with disease like gout.
- These cherries also helps in reducing the pain in joints that’s a good point for injured person.
- Ever faces pain after workouts!!! Cherries will help in reducing the pain caused after doing heavy workouts after the gym.
- It lowers the risk of strokes and few more heart related issues.
- It lowers the blood pressure by removing excess sodium present in the body.
- Maintains proper blood circulation throughout the body thus making the body feel energetic.
- It helps you feel full at stomach, as they contain 3 grams of fiber per 100 grams of cherries, thus promoting weight loss. Making it difficult to expand the waistline.
- It also lowers the sugar level in the blood, thus making it friend of diabetic patients.
- According to a research, these cherries lowers risk of heart diseases incredibly.
- Contents like calcium and phosphorus works on brain cells and make a stronger memory power.
- It also works magically with belly fats.