Raspberry is derived from a Latin word ‘raspise’ that means ‘sweet rose colored wine’. This word was used in old English.
There are many species of Raspberry, classified according to it’s area of production. Some are listed below:
- Rubuscrataegifolius- These breed is found in countries of Asia.
- Rubusidaeus- These breed is found mostly in European markets.
- Rubusparvifolius- These breed is all the way from Australia.
- Rubusrosifolius- These one is from Mauritius.
- Rubusellipticus- These breed are yellow in colour and are from Himalayas.
Cultivation: Previously, these berries used to grow only in summers, but thanks to the latest technologies that is very helpful for these berries to grow in any season.
As Raspberry is one of the commercial crop that’s grown mostly for money. But keeping in mind that these Raspberries should not be planted in the land where tomatoes or potatoes were previously grown.Major country producing this fruit is Russia, followed by Poland, United States, Serbia and Mexico.
- Amount per 100 gram
- Water: 85.8 g
- Calories: 53 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 11.94 g
- Fat: 0.65 g
- Protein: 1.2 g
- Calcium: 25 mg
- Iron: 0.69 mg
- Magnesium: 22 mg
- Manganese: 0.67 mg
- Phosphorous: 29 mg
- Potassium: 151 mg
- Zinc: 0.42 mg
Benefits of Raspberry:
- Helps during pregnancy- Doctor says, that if a woman is pregnant, she must have some raspberries twice a day, daily. It also reduces the pain while giving birth to a child.
- Extremely rich in fiber.
- Super seedy- They contain lots of seeds; hence they are one of the most super seedy fruit.
- They don’t continue to ripen after picked for long time. So no more over softening.
- Increases Immunity- Being rich source of vitamin C, it helps fighting with common diseases like infections, flu, cold and more.
- Anti ageing- Due to antioxidants present in them they tend to work as an anti ageing agent for skin.
- Helps fighting Cancer- It works incredibly well in slowing the growth of cancer. Even doctors suggest the cancer patients to add these raspberries into their diet.
- Good for eyes- Its antioxidants help in protecting eyes from oxidative stress.In other words, it helps protecting eyes and retina from damage and infections.
- Great for diabetic patients- Raspberries contains reasonable amount of sugar. They are also rich in fibers, so that’s the catch.
- Helps in weight loss- As they are very rich in fibers and extremely low in fats it works like magic for people seeking for weight loss. It’ll keep them full without gaining a lot of fats.
- Activator- Raspberries helps in keeps the body active all day as they look after the proper circulation of blood.
- Happy feeling- According to doctors, raspberries can make mood better just by having them, it’s magical but true.
- Memory booster- They help in remembering things better as they also work on brain cells.